Why Gun-Owners Should Join Us
Libertarians are unmistakably clear about the inalienable, inherent, individual right to protect ourselves, our families, and others from violence. We know that the founders were wary that this right would be violated by the federal government and this is why the 2nd Amendment was added to the US Constitution, stating "the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Sadly, the fundamental right to self-protection has been repeatedly violated by all levels of government, particularly here in Illinois, one of only two states where it is prohibited to carry guns. Even after the Heller decision, where the Supreme Court clarified that gun ownership was an individual right, Chicago and Oak Park continue to ban the possession of all handguns, even within people's own homes.
But there is hope that freedom will prevail. The US Supreme Court announced that it will take up the McDonald vs. Chicago case. This case will determine whether state and local gun ordinances can be struck down because they violate the 2nd Amendment.
As Libertarian Presidential Candidate Harry Browne said, "The police can't stop an intruder, mugger, or stalker from hurting you. They can pursue him only after he has hurt or killed you. Protecting yourself from harm is your responsibility, and you are far less likely to be hurt in a neighborhood of gun-owners than in one of disarmed citizens – even if you don't own a gun yourself."
If you are looking for a political party that walks the talk about individual rights and personal responsibility, you have found it in the Libertarian Party.
Quick Quotes You Can Use When Talking About Guns
- An armed person is a citizen. An unarmed person is a subject.
- A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
- Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
- If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspellings.
- Free people do not ask permission to bear arms.
- The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
- Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.
- Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.
- Criminals love gun control – it makes their jobs safer.
- You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
Join the Libertarian Party
Rather than baning guns, the politicians and the police should encourage gun ownership, as well as education and training programs. A responsible, well-armed, and trained citizenry is the best protection against tyranny, both foreign and domestic.
Join our Party and help us put Libertarians in office that understand our rights and responsibility build a freer, safer society.